In 1876, when Laura was nine years old, the Ingalls family left Walnut Grove, Minnesota, after suffering through two years of grasshopper plagues. They traveled to Burr Oak, Iowa, to help manage the Masters Hotel, owned by their friend, William Steadman, also from Walnut Grove. Burr Oak is often referred to as “The Missing Link” in the Little House book series.
The Masters Hotel is the only childhood home of Laura Ingalls Wilder that remains on its original site. It is registered on the National Register of Historical Places.
The progress of the coronavirus may affect the opening of the season on May 1
and future summer events.
Any changes in dates or cancellations will be posted here.
3603 236th Ave Burr Oak Iowa 52101
May: Mon-Sat 10-4, Sun 12-4
Memorial Day-Labor Day: Mon-Sat 9-5, Sun 12-4
Post Labor Day: Thur-Sat 10-4
Closing for the 2019 season on Oct 19
Last tour of each day is one hour before closing.
Copyright @ Laura Ingalls Wilder Park and Museum. All rights reserved
Laura Ingalls Park & Museum